Head’s up, gentlemen! I’ve done some research for you, so if you are looking for a nice gift for your special someone that will really be appreciated and worn, here are a few thoughts…
Women love their hoops. Women have embraced this age-old style for their everyday jewelry wardrobes, often having several styles and sizes. Hoops are easy to dress up and just as easy to dress down. They are fun to wear on a weekend shopping trip. They are classy and easy to wear to work. And, most importantly, they are a piece of jewelry that goes with almost everything else they want to wear.
I recently had some of wonderful conversations with several of my friends about what made their favorite hoops so perfect. Although the answers were just as unique as the women I asked, a few factors remained the same.
1. The perfect hoops are not so large that they catch on everything. Most of the women I talked to said that their “go-to” pair of hoops were about 1 inch or the size of a quarter. Large enough to be noticed, but small enough that they didn’t have to take them out to answer the phone at work.
2. The perfect hoops were interesting, but not overstated. Although there may be times when a women might consider hanging barbed wire and dolphins from her ears, that style may not be something she could wear in a conservative work environment. Something with some detail, but not too…well…you get it.
3. The perfect hoops are the same color as the rest of the jewelry she wears. If she’s a yellow gold lover, and all of her rings and necklaces are yellow gold, buying her a pair of silver earrings may be less appreciated than you hoped. But, with gold soaring at $1700/oz right now, finding nice gold earrings can be a challenge. Many of the women I spoke with thought that an elegant pair of brass or mixed metal earrings would be a wonderful gift that spoke to their own personal tastes.
4. The perfect hoops are easy to put on and take off. When you’re shopping for a pair of hoops, ask to hold them, and reassure the salesperson you’d like to try the clasps. Hold them behind your back. Try to open them, and close them again. Are they easy or a challenge? There are many different styles of closures, but the best ones are the ones that a woman can do one-handed, in a hurry, while she is walking out the door.
5. The perfect hoops are light enough to wear all day without causing pain. Pretty straight forward here…would you want to dangle a radiator from your earlobe?
6. The perfect hoops are built to last. Too many of the women I spoke with told me about finding a pair of earrings they really liked that were too soon crushed or broken. These were earrings that were basically of a hollow tube design which is fairly popular. They had very thin walls, and couldn’t take any pressure before they were flattened.
Hopefully these tips will help you as you decide on your next gift purchase…The most important point in choosing any piece of jewelry is to consider the tastes of the person who will be wearing it, and to consider what you see that person wearing on a daily basis. If you choose well, you will be rewarded by getting to see your gift worn often, with confidence and comfort.
Please visit my shop at www.etsy.com/shop/moonkistdesigns to the pictured hoops and more styles of earrings available!